Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#23 Eat Something Really Weird

This week I attempted something that was very different… Although it was very funny at times, it also tested my gag reflex a ton. This week I can cross off #23 Eat Something Really Weird (although this dish could be considered popular cuisine around the world).

I decided I would grab 2lbs of chicken feet (that’s right, chicken feet) from my local Asian supermarket and look up a customary way of cooking them. I stumbled upon a bunch of spicy recipes traditionally done in the Philippines. The pictures looked like something I could handle and decided I would give it a try.

First I had to make sure I had the following ingredients…

- 2 lbs chicken feet
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (diluted in 1/2 cup water)
- 1 thumb ginger, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Chinese black beans
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- Chili (or crushed red pepper)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cooking oil


            Next I had to clean the chicken feet and remove the claws.

Removing them from the package took some motivation
Boiled for 5 minutes
Then washed with cold water
Placed on the cutting board to be cleaned and declawed
Talk about a pedicure!

            After the feet were declawed and boiled for 5 minutes, it was time to sauté the minced garlic and chopped ginger in the pot. At the same time I was supposed to add 1 cup of cooking oil (I neglected to read the recipe correctly however, and only put in a little oil, as if I were frying an egg). After realizing the bonehead move, I removed half of the chicken (1lb) to try to redeem my mistake. Because I only cooked half of the recipe I should have also put that into consideration in the next steps… I didn’t though (Jack Astor’s should forever keep me out of the kitchen).

6 feet instead of 12 now...

            At this point it was time to mix the rest of the ingredients and eventually the sauce would thicken (once again… Not the case).

Yummy!

            Although I completely messed up the recipe, I figured I still had to give them a try. This is how it went…


Dad, am I really about to do this?


Why am I here right now?

hmmmm...


My dad convinced me to put the whole foot in my mouth.
Why did I do that?
Enough is enough!
In the garbage...
Rinsed my plate...
And in the dishwasher!

            I also left out the part where I found a video on how to cook this recipe in Spanish… Unfortunately me no speaky! If I decide to try this dish again, I will most definitely leave it up to someone who knows what they’re doing.

            #23 Eat Something Really Weird

1 comment:

  1. What the he'll were you thinking!!! You did an awesome job with the play by play. I busted a gut reading it, I needed that thanks bro. I could just image what the old man was thinking, did he try any, I can't believe momma let you cook that on her stove let alone in her cookware...

    Brother you have yet to disappoint; keep up the blog, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete