Tuesday, December 6, 2011

#16 Own a motorcycle

This week is my very last post for the semester! By that, I mean the last blog entry that I will be marked on. I will, however, be continuing this blog until I have completed all the items from my bucketlist but I probably won’t be posting once a week!

In 2007 I made a wild decision… I decided to buy my very own motorcycle. My first dilemma was that I had never ridden a motorcycle before. The second issue was whether I was going to purchase a 2007 Suzuki GS500 or a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R. Now the obvious choice would be to get the sleeker, bad ass looking GSX-R.  However, Allstate had other plans for me, making this next to impossible. After being quoted an insurance rate more per year, than the cost of the bike itself, I decided to look elsewhere for insurance. To my relief, State Farm was quoting rates based on engine size and not the style of bike. After being quoted a reasonable price it was a no-brainer that I would own a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R. Although I still had one problem… I didn’t know how to ride yet! After completing my M1 written test, I enrolled in the “Gearing Up” learn to ride program at Humber College. This was an excellent program that is geared for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before. The course took place over a very rainy weekend, which was probably the best time to learn safe maneuvering. At the end of the program, students can complete their M1 exit test, which is what I decided to do. At this point I now had my M2 and, of course, some motorcycle apparel. Next stop, CYCLE WORLD!

1st time sitting on MY bike at the dealership
1st day home!
After one of many bike washes

Colours are Black/Blue

1st Ride!
Vrrroooooooooooommmm!!!
Two of my friends got bikes around the same time =D

After a couple super fun summers with this toy, I decided to head back to school… and selling my motorcycle was unfortunately the smart financial strategy at that point in my life. Needless to say, I WILL have another motorcycle one day (Sorry Mom)!

One of my last rides =(

            #16 Own a motorcycle

1 comment:

  1. Hey brotha, one thing that you should of mentioned is how un aware motorist are when bikes are on the road.

    How many close encounters did you have again? ;-)

    Motorist pay attention you all most killed my brother multiple times!

    ReplyDelete